Message from the RGSTC President
Thursday, June 11
You’ve all been eagerly awaiting news on the pool, so here is what we hammered out at the board meeting 6/8/20.
Bottom line up front: We are targeting THIS SATURDAY to open the pool!
- We have agreed to adopt a conditions-based approach. We will open the pool with restrictive health protection measures in place in accordance with current state, county, and municipal guidance. The board will vote to loosen these restrictions as conditions improve. Please accept that, at least in the beginning, we cannot operate as we did last year. For the time being, we must operate as an exercise/fitness club instead of a recreational/social club. The board has come up with a plan that gives members the ability to maximize use of the pool to swim laps, walk, do aerobics, practice strokes, dive, etc. It is also important to understand that we expect all members to abide by these guidelines. Guards will be there for swimmer safety, NOT to enforce COVID prevention measures. Refusal to follow these guidelines may result in suspension or expulsion.
- The Phase 2 re-opening guidance stipulates no more than 50 people can be at the pool at one time. To facilitate this restriction, we will institute a reservation system to ensure we don’t exceed our mandated capacity. Under a web-based system to be announced tomorrow (6/12) and released weekly, families will reserve 90-minute blocks of time at the pool. Once the 90-minute block has concluded, members must depart the premises immediately so the management team can sanitize the grounds for the next group.
- We will extend the operating hours to give families additional reservation opportunities.
07:00-08:30AM - Adult swim
09:00-10:30AM - Coach Guided Fitness
11:00AM-9:00PM - Family swim
07:00AM-9:00PM - Family Swim
Adult swim/coach guided fitness reservations will not preclude family swim reservations.
- Nobody under the age of 18 will be allowed to enter the club without a parent or guardian who is over 18 unless they are employed by the pool.
- Tennis courts are open effective immediately, but we have to control access to minimize the risk. Reservations for the tennis courts can be made through Mrs. Shazia Begin at firstname.lastname@example.org or by checking out the key from the guard shack once we’re open.
- Pool chairs will remain in storage. Members will pack in/pack out their own chairs. Tables and umbrellas will be available for guest use and sanitized every two hours. Tables will be spaced to facilitate social distancing into 10-foot sections marked with painter’s tape.
- Grills will be off limits.
- Guests will not be authorized.
- During Phase 2, the diving area will be open, and the rest of the pool will be separated into swim lanes for lap swimming, instruction, or exercise. Lanes can only have 3 people at a time and swimmers must maintain 10 feet of separation in the lane.
- The baby pool area will have no more than two families at a time. This area will be first come, first served.
- The slide will be closed until further notice.
We realize this plan will not please everybody, but it’s the plan that will get the pool operating again. I feel confident that we will be able to loosen the restrictions as the government opens more and more of the state back up to the public.
Please check out some of the links below so you can get a sense of how we’re informing our decision-making.
Here is detailed Phase 2 guidance from the Governor’s office (swimming pools are covered on pages 23-24):
Here is the link to the Phase 2 order for most of Virginia (excluding NOVA and Richmond):
Here you can keep up on all of the Governor’s Executive Actions:
On a personal note, I want to thank the members that came out to help with the cleanup weekend and to those who have reached out to show support for our board members. Your encouragement really is what keeps us going.